The European Marine Science Educator Association (EMSEA) is an international non-profit organisation committed to boost ocean literacy in Europe. EMSEA provides a platform for ocean education in the different European regional seas.
EMSEA was founded in 2011 inspired by the example of NMEA and became an official organisation in 2016.
The rational of EMSEA is educational and predominately scientific but recognizes that the ocean has a place in all disciplines.
EMSEA’s goals are to:
- raise educators awareness of ocean issues and the need for a sustainable future for our coasts, seas and ocean;
- promote education and training in the fields of marine sciences ;
- advance ocean literacy in Europe and worldwide ;
- improve the quality of marine science education ;
- to function as a platform for sharing and disseminating information and expertise among its members.
EMSEA’s main activities are to :
- organises the EMSEA-Conferences, courses and workshops for its members;
- develop and promote good practises in marine science education;
- participate in collaborative projects concerned with ocean literacy and the teaching of marine sciences;
- provide a forum for the discussion of marine science education and ocean literacy.